Lake Blackshear is named after General David Blackshear, an Indian fighter
who cut the old Blackshear Trail through this part of Georgia
during the War of 1812. In the same period he also built Fort
Early on the east side of what is now Lake Blackshear.
Lake Blackshear was created in 1930 from the damming of the
Flint River to provide low cost electricity. The Lake borders
five counties, contains approximately 8,700 acres, has 77 miles
of shoreline, an average depth of 20 feet and its average width
is ¾ mile.
Lake Blackshear spreads for over 15 miles starting at the city
of Warwick. The formation of the lake began in 1930 when the
Crisp County Power Commission established the Crisp County
Power Dam on the Flint River. The lake is fed by the Flint
River with over 8,700 surface acres and 77 miles of shoreline.
Crisp County Power Company operates this 8,500-acre reservoir
located on the Flint River in southwest Georgia.
An 8,700-acre park on the banks of Lake Blackshear, was
established as a permanent memorial to the U. S. Veterans who
served, fought, and died for freedom.
Lake Blackshear is a popular destination for vacationers, conference attendees, boating enthusiasts and nature lovers.